Friday, January 18, 2013

Puffed Pancakes




Yummy Puffed Pancakes

This dish has been a favorite among my family since I married my wonderful husband, almost 12 years ago.  We used to make it every Sunday morning at my husbands’ request but have gotten away from that due to him being gone so much.  Needless to say, he is home this weekend and it is my youngest daughters’ birthday and for her birthday breakfast she wanted Puffed Pancakes. 

I usually do 4 times the recipe and use a 9-13 inch pan because I have a large family.  The original recipe is probably perfect for 2-4 people, depending on how much you eat. 


I wanted to take of picture of the finished product before it got cut into, but everyone was hungry and they didn't wait.





Puffed Pancakes (German Pancakes)

3 eggs
½ cup flour
½ cup milk
Dash of salt
2 tbs. butter          
Apples (peeled and cut up into small pieces and sprinkled w/ cinnamon sugar)                                                                                     




Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix eggs, flour, milk and salt together till smooth.  Take apple mixture and mix into batter.  The apple mixture is optional but we love it and I refuse to make Puffed Pancakes if I don’t have any apples.  Place butter in pan and place in oven to melt.  Be sure to not place it in oven too soon, you don’t want it to burn.  Poor batter into pan overtop melted butter and bake for 20 minutes. 

While it is baking you have time to make homemade maple syrup.  Here is my recipie, but if you have one that you love you can use that.
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 tsp maple flavoring
In a sauce pan mix sugar and water.  Bring to a boil.  Add the maple flavoring while boiling.  Let boil for a little longer.  Enjoy!!!


No comments: