Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Dinner Favorites


Christmas Joys


Evergreen boughs that fill our homes
With fragrant Christmas scents,
Hearts filled with the loving glow
That Christmas represents;


Christmas cookies, turkeys stuffed,
Festive holly berry,
Little faces bright with joy,
Loved ones being merry;

Parties, songs, beribboned gifts,
Silver bells that tinkle,
Christmas trees and ornaments,
Colorful lights that twinkle;

Relatives waiting with open arms
To smile and hug and kiss us;
These are some of the special joys
That come along with Christmas.
By Joanna Fuchs
 
Christmas brings us all together where we love to share our favorite Christmas stories and past times, and for me my favorite Christmas Dinner treats.  I love gathering with my family on Christmas for a wonderful dinner.  My family for many years always gathered at my Grandparents home for her Christmas Ham and Funeral Potatoes (cheesy potatoes).  After my Grandparents were no longer with us we gathered at my parents home.  But those favorites that my Grandma would make for us were passed down to her children and grandchildren.  One of my absolute favorites is Frozen Fruit Salad.  My Grandma would make two pans every Thanksgiving and Christmas, one pan for everyone and one pan for me.  Yes, my grandma spoiled me. 
Here are 3 of my favorite holiday dishes.  What are your favorites?  I'd love for you to share them with me.    I hope you enjoy these as much as I do every year.

Frozen Fruit Salad



Mix together in sauce pan:
1 cup pineapple juice           4 eggs beaten
4 Tbs. lemon juice              pinch of salt   
1/2 cup sugar                                            
Bring to boil.  Cool.  Add;
6 oz. Cream Cheese         2 cups Heavy whipping cream

Mix together well until smooth.
Now Mix in Fruit.
1 large can crushed pineapple      4 medium apples finally chopped
1 cup finally chopped celery      1 cup mini marshmallows
anything else you want.   I like to add a can of fruit cocktail drained.
Freeze.
 
by: Margie Jones 

Orange Jell-O Salad

1 large pkg. cook to serve lemon pudding       1 large pkg. orange jell-o
Prepare both as directed.  Cool, mix together and pour into pan over can of mandarin oranges.  Let set overnight.                                                                                                                                                    
Topping
1 small pkg. instant lemon pudding.  (mix with 1 cup of cold milk)
cool whip                                                                                          
Mix together until smooth then spread on top of Jell-O. 

by: Irene Losee

Funeral Potatoes or Cheesy Potatoes


2 lb. bag of frozen hashbrowns (or 10-12 potatoes, baked, cooled, then shredded)
1/4 - 1/2 cup butter    
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cans Cream of Chicken or Mushroom soup
1 pint sour cream
1 lb. (or 1-1 1/2 cups) of shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 - 1 tsp. salt
pepper to taste. (opt)
Optional topping:
2 cups corn flakes, crushed    4 Tbs. melted butter
 paprika (opt)
Prepare potatoes if you don't have frozen hash browns.  Melt butter; mix with the soup, sour cream, onion (can sauté onion), cheese, salt and pepper.  Fold into potatoes.  Put in baking pan (9x13).  If topping is desired, crush corn flakes and mix in the butter and paprika.  Sprinkle corn flake crumbs over top.  Bake at 350 oven about 1 hour until hot and bubbly.  Serves 8-10 people.


No comments: