Saturday, December 1, 2012

Recognizing the Spirit


The Holy Ghost is a blessing to all of us and we can feel promptings from him so that we may be a tool in our Heavenly Fathers plan.  I know this and have a deep testimony of this, we talk about it often in Relief Society at church.  Just in this past Women’s conference we had such a beautiful example given to us by President Henry B. Eyring.  He spoke of a sister who felt a prompting to simply check up on another sister who happened to be President Eyring’s daughter.  Because that sister chose to listen to the promptings of the Holy Ghost many lives were blessed.  Click  Here for the link for that talk. 
I have a strong testimony of our Savior, Jesus Christ and in his teachings.  I know that I have been given the gift of the Holy Ghost. I have felt his comfort and guidance often throughout my life.  But I have never felt a prompting for me to go see someone or to call someone.  I have wanted to be a tool in my Fathers hand and to be able to be of service to others, but I just figured that maybe I didn’t know how to recognize actual promptings.  

I was given a powerful witness this week in promptings.  While driving into Vienna, West Virginia to run some errands I had an overpowering feeling to call my Sister-in-law.  My brother who is her husband works out of town as well as my husband does so we are left alone with our kids for long periods of time.  My sister-in-law just had a baby about 7 weeks ago and also has 2 girls ages 8 and 3. When I first felt the prompting I shook it off thinking that it was one of my silly thoughts, not a prompting.  But again I had an overpowering feeling to call her.  I didn’t hear an actual voice, but just a clear thought to call her and not only to call her but to go over there if there was no answer.  Well, being in West Virginia I couldn’t call her until I had stopped, so I called once I got to the bank that I was headed to.  Her 8 year old daughter answered who should have been in school.  I asked Kiya, my niece, why she wasn’t in school.  She said that mommy was sick.  So I told her that I was coming over to help.  My poor sister-in-law gets pretty bad migraines and the one she was having was making it very hard for her to take care of her kids.  I was able to take Kiya to school and the other 2 over to my home for the day so that my sister-in-law was able to get some rest.  

Not only was I able to bless their lives by listening to the promptings of the Holy Ghost, but I received a powerful testimony of the Holy Ghost and how we can be of service to others.  I am so grateful for those that listen to the promptings of the Holy Ghost.  I know that we are often who our Heavenly Father uses to answer others prayers. 


No comments: