Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Angel Wings

One of the most annoying parts of healing from the double mastectomy is what I've been told are the Angel Wings.

This isn't what it sounds like it would be.  It is flaps under my arms that are just there to pester and annoy.  The worst part is the swelling which I'm told will go away.  At this point I feel as though they will never go away.

I guess I shouldn't complain.  After all I am only 3 weeks out from my surgery. They say that healing time is 6 weeks so I am technically only half way there.
The side that they took all the lymph nodes from actually has a dip.  It seems to catch all the peeling dead skin that I had to scrub out in the shower this morning. Lovely picture I know.

Bonus is my chest does not look as hideous as it did even a week ago, but it's still pretty yuck.

I am excited to report that I finally am getting me some camisoles.   The camisoles are to replace the undesirable post-op bra's that I've been suffering with the last 3 weeks.  I'm hoping that they are as comfortable as I've been promised by the seller.  I hate looking down and seeing nothing sticking out but my stomach.  But this is preferable to wearing the dreaded bra's I have now.  The bra's like to unsnap at the wrong times and I'm always wondering if the stuffing in them is even.  They are not very comfortable either.  So having something like the promised comfort of the camisoles is something definitely to look forward to.

Many of you are probably wondering what my next step is.  So here it is in a nutshell.

Next Tuesday, the 20th of January, I go into my Oncologists to get my port.  This is a device that they will place under my skin in my chest that will be attached to a large vein.  This is what they will use to give me all of my chemo through as well as any blood draws, ect.  This will be an outpatient procedure with very mild sedation.  I'm told it's the same sedation they use when you get a Colonoscopy.

The very next day is when Steven will start the process for his radiation.  He will go in on the 21st and the 22nd for injections and the on the 23rd they will do a full body scan which will determine the dose of iodine radiation they will be giving him.  I won't be going with him on the 23rd because he will be driving home radioactive.  I can't seem to get that song out of my head when ever I think of it.

He has started his iodine and dairy free diet today.  He is mostly just eating fresh fruits and veggies.  I am going to see what kind of things I can make him to spice up his choices a bit.  He will be on this diet until the 30th of January.  Poor Guy.

After he takes his pill that will make him radioactive he will be closed up in his room for 1 week.  He's hoping he can go to work during this time on one of the jobs where he just sits in his truck.  This way he can still bring home the bacon (which is not allowed in his diet) and also not go entirely insane from staying in our room all day.

My first round of chemo starts on Monday the 26th.  I have to say I am a bit nervous about it.  I have no idea how I'm going to react to the chemo.  They say everyone is different.  I got my 2 prescriptions filled yesterday for the anti-nausea medicine the doctor gave me.  They will also be giving me medication to help with side effects before they inject me with the poison.

The 30th I get to have a fitting for my prosthesis and bra's.  These are good bra's, not like the ones I have now.  I should be pretty much healed by then and hopefully the Angel Wings will be long gone.

1 comment:

Debra Teaman said...

Awe...bless your heart! I have a friend that just went through a double mascestomy. Shes doing great now, and looks great too! Keep the faith, love prayers to both you and your husband! Let me know when you are headed back to the temple.