Friday, February 7, 2014

Bag Tutorial

I have made lots of bags and they all have the same basic concept of assembling.  This tutorial is just showing the basics of how to assemble, box the bottom corners and finishing.  It very simple.  You can design the bag however you'd like.  Use your favorite quilt block or just use one solid piece of fabric.  It's totally up to you.  You can also embellish it however you would like.
For this bag I used a block called "Diagonal Paths" which I found on one of my favorite sites, "Quilt Blocks Galore."  I also like to add a pocket to the lining of all my bags.  I just cut a piece of fabric 8 inches by whatever the width of the bag I am making.  Instructions are below for pocket.


What you need.

To start the bag you need.
2 outside panels cut tot size you want your bag
2 panels for lining cut to same size as outside panels.
2 strips of material 2 X 26 inches (longer or shorter depending on how long you want your handles.)
2 pieces of batting cut just a bit larger than your outside panels.

Assembly.

Once you have all your pieces cut out you can start assembling.  

Handles

For my handles I like to add batting.  You don't have to but I like how it feels.  Put right sides together  with batting on the outside and sew up both sides of your handles.  Now you are going to turn your handles right side out.  After it is turned right side out iron the handles flat then sew along the edge of the long sides of your handles.  I like to use a decorative stitch on this part.  Now set your handles aside for now.


 Outside Panels.

My two outside panels are already quilted with the batting so now I am going to take them and put right sides together and pin.  Next sew both sides and bottom of bag with 1/4 inch seam.  Set aside.

Lining.

You are going to do the same thing with the lining.  My lining is made of two seperate fabrics.  One matching for the top and one for the bottom.  I also added my pocket to my lining by pinning it to one of the panels.  You are now going to sew the two sides and bottom leaving a 4 inch gap for turning later.


I got a little ahead of myself with pinning the handles to the bag.  It is actually easier to do this after this next step.


Boxing the Corners.

I like to box the corners of my bags.  It makes it look nice plus makes it able to stand up.



after turning your bag right side out is a good time to pin your handles on.


Sewing the lining to the bag.  



Finishing it up.

You can now embellish the bag however you would like.  I added a pocket with applique to the front of this bag.  


Now it's time to go make you some bags.  I hope that this has been helpful.  If you have any questions you can ask me in the comment section.  


No comments: