Friday, January 31, 2014

My Morning Lemon Water.


Drinking lemon water has been my morning ritual for almost 3 years now.  Because of the wonderful benefits I receive from drinking my lemon water, that ritual will never change as long as there are lemons still on this earth.   I was introduced to lemon water 3 years ago while both my sister-n-law and I were visiting my parents for the summer.  So both my mom and I tried it.  It was sour, but not bad.  It wasn’t until later that I started seeing a difference in how I felt.  The biggest benefit in my eyes is that when everyone else seems to be getting whatever bug was going around, I seem to be immune to it.  I haven’t had a serious cold in what seems forever.  What is also great is I have lost over 30 pounds since I’ve started drinking lemon water.  Plus my daily heartburn has all but disappeared, although I still get heartburn when I make chocolate chip cookies because I can’t stop eating them. 

How much of a lemon you should use depends on how much you weigh.   If you weigh less than 150 lbs use only half a lemon, but if you weigh over 150 lbs you need to use a whole lemon.   If you are under that 150 lbs but want to use a whole lemon, that is completely fine.  I use a whole lemon just because I like the taste of it. 

Here is how I prepare my lemon water every morning.  First I put my kettle on the stove with some fresh water and heat it up.  I then get a fresh lemon out of the fridge and wash it.  Recently I have started warming up my lemon before cutting it by putting it in the microwave for about 30 seconds.  I have found out you get a lot more juice from your lemon this way.  Once it is warmed I roll it on the counter kind of like you would when making a snake out of play dough.  This just loosens those juices even more.  I then cut my lemon over my citrus press because I found since I’ve started heating it that those juices really do flow and I didn’t want to waste any of it by it getting it on the counter rather than in my cup where it belongs.  I actually bought a cheap citrus press for about $3 which comes with a jar that the press just screws onto.  I really like this because sometimes I’ll squeeze a few lemons at a time and I am able to save half of it for the next morning.  This works great also when you only need to use half of a lemon.  I pour half of the juice from the press jar into my mug and leave the rest in the jar and just cover it with saran wrap and put it in the fridge.  I then poor my heated water into the mug.  You want to use warm water, not really hot or really cold.  Most of the time my water gets pretty hot, so I just let it cool before I drink it.  I then take my mug and enjoy my nice cup of warm lemon water.



I want to share with you all the wonderful benefits of lemon water but my medical knowledge is not great, and I have no clue how to re-word things to make it any easier to understand, so I have made a simple list of the great benefits without all the big explanations.  You can go to several sites that can list in more detail the benefits. 




I challenge you to start this habit of drinking lemon water.  I promise, you won’t be sorry.  After discovering the benefits for yourself, you will never want to go without it again.  I would love to hear how this works for you, or if you too have already discovered the wonderfulness of it.  Let me know.



No comments: